Jonathan Green & Company - Antique and Modern Dolls, Toys, Christmas Decorations and Folkart
Home Folklore Yahoo Groups Show Schedule Order Status Contact Us Shopping Cart
 
Search For...

   Grödnertal Wooden
     Dolls

   Kösen Plush
     Animals

   Krahmer Puppen

   Marie Kruse Dolls

   Pinocchio

   Schildkröt Dolls

   Wendt & Kühn

   Nürnberg Angels

   Erzgebirge Angels

   Erzgebirge Figures

   Lanterns

   Easter

   Flade

   Ceramic
     Ornaments

   Doll Accessories

   All Products

   What's on Sale

 
 

   Wish List

   Tell a Friend

   New Item
     Notification

 
 

   About Us

   Return Policy

   Privacy &
     Security

   Shipping Info

   Payment Info

   FAQ's

   Links

 

Ask Us

 

Krahmer Puppen History

The arts and crafts dolls manufactured by Krahmer Puppen coveted toys and did not fear comparison with designs by famous designers. - Hildegard Krahmer, studied philosophy and German in Rostock and Munich. After her marriage in 1936 she worked in the family business of her husband's parents , a Chemnitz metal goods factory. With the death of her husband in 1945 and the expropriation of the company a year later, she was suddenly standing there penniless. In order to feed herself and her children, she made, in the attic of her confiscated Villa, craft articles for the household.

She wanted to make a doll for her daughter, but was unhappy with the patterns for cloth dolls. She decided to make a doll with a wooden head. With the carving craftsman Walter Wächtler from Oederan, she found a specialist for it. Mr Wächtler remained with the company for 25 years. In 1947, the "Krahmer" doll was born with a childlike designed head from linden wood and the distinctive upturned nose . The body was still made of fabric and is hand stuffed. The dolls had been initially produced with painted hair and simple cotton clothes. On the first presentation to the Leipzig fair in 1948, Frau Krahmer was told the wooden heads would not sell. Nevertheless, She retained these materials and perfected their designs. The painted hair has been replaced with hand-knotted human hair or synthetic wigs. Due to the handmade of wood carver and individual painting they got their own charm and character. - Frau Krahmer moved production from her living room into a workshop in her apartment building in Chemnitz, neighbors helped with the sewing. In 1951 Frau Krahmer was registered as a Master of Wooden Toy Manufacturer in the Craftsman Board of Chemnitz.

Decorated with quality marks and awards, the dolls became popular. In 1955 Frau Krahmer.received recognition as artists of the craft. In July 1956, the Krahmer Doll was awarded the "Spiel Gut" certificate for toys that were good for children. Frau Krahmer gained further international recognition with the certificate of honor at the World Exhibition in Brussels in 1958. At peak times.1,500 dolls were made a year. Krahmer Puppen escaped nationalization in 1972 as the company had only ten employees. Actually, there were 11, but as one was handicapped, that employee was not counted in the total.

Over the years, the look of the dolls changed only slightly. The typical childlike facial expression of the wood heads and the clothes made of natural materials were preserved. - Frau Krahmer died during a trip to visit her son's family in 1985 in Winnenden . Then her daughter Eva was in charge of the operation until her own death in 1990. Frau Krahmer's daughter-in-law Marion, who had completed her education up to master's certificate in the family company but in 1976 t had to flee to the West, leads the company with a few employees in a workshop in Limbach- Oberfrohna.

 

 

© 2011 Jonathan
Green & Company